Monday, July 4, 2011

Didgeri-who?

Hello again.

       Lately I have been wondering around different places looking for inspiration of any type. Something to just jump out and bite me in the left leg which will lead me on the road to riches and prosperity. So far nothing has taken a chunk out and I have been walking just fine. Yet on this quest I find myself drawn to a few routine areas. I find that I take in a great deal of reading in the corner of Barnes and Nobles. I have already expunged upon this in an earlier post so I won't go on in detail. The other place that draws me is the Downtown Disney shopping district. I know, I know; I travel far. Any-who, this is where I find myself wandering and wondering about everything under the sun. And what better place to do this than a busy tourist trap where live music plays and street performers perform (on the street).
        I once read a blog from a friend of mine that described her thoughts as she left her employment with Disney. She had very good things to say, but something buried itself into my consciousness and set up a memory homestead. She said that in her time here she has met the hardest working entertainers in the world and most will never be remembered or famous. Now that line applies very much to those performing every night tirelessly as I stroll past. And up until now I have never taken the time to compliment these artisans for their work by the mere act of listening intently to them. I would just walk briskly to my destination and chalk up their unique sounds as just something for the non-residents. However I have changed that in great form.
         Lately when I find myself at DTD (acronyms are fun) I stop and listen for a long time to each artist. In some cases I have become a regular at times cause I really enjoy the music they produce. The most interesting part is the uniqueness of each act. They all have something just a bit out of the ordinary that makes me look and/or listen in a different way.
          In what ways are they unique you might ask? Well you don't have to cause I did it for you. Well the singularity in difference (like that?) that catches my auditory nerve can range from what type of instruments they use to what type of sounds those instruments produce. Whether it be a Spanish guitar playing a version of the Sesame Street theme song or an electric violin jamming some Black Eyed Peas; its all very interesting and fun. BTW (acronym!) the electric string instruments rule. They are basically just strings on a bridge with the outline of the rest of the wooden part to make the silhouette. Amazing modernization of a classical instrument. That would be their uniqueness.
           Yet with all these fabulous performers there is one act that makes me chuckle and rock out in equal forms. And that is the rock and roll didgeridoo. Yep its just what you think. A double sided didgeridoo fully mic'd and filtered through an effects board. The artist plays this Australian goldmine of outback-ian sound (like that?) with a rock attitude and a masterful skill to boot. He also rocks a mean electric guitar while playing. Its just a bit off to really make you think and appreciate the talent. And the music composition is amazingly fun to listen or dance to.
          I started this post saying how I am looking for inspiration. Now I wouldn't say that this ridiculous yet effective blending of modern technology with the classical/cultural elements has really inspired me in that respect. I don't plan on creating a steam-punk version of Shakespeare's Love's Labours Lost any time soon. (Actually that doesn't sound too bad. Idea copywritten to Fluke Entertainment.) However it does push me to think that anything can happen if you work hard and have that edge. Do something just a bit off that makes people want to listen or watch, but not run away from DaDaist brain drain. Anyone who knows what DaDa is goes to the head of the class.
        So, if you can, go listen to the hard working artists in your areas. They deserve your attention and compliments. But most of all see what their uniqueness does for you in your search for inspiration. Also buy their cds once in a while. Peeps need to eat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment