Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Victori-uhhs? Secret

            Barney Stinson is a role model. Not so much in the woman-izing misogynistic sort of way (even though it is awesome to see a totally out gay man play such a person with complete and utter believably) but in his sense of fashion and attire. I can't think of anything I would much rather wear in this lifetime than a suit. See how "anti-establishment" I am!
           There is just something classic about a suit. Its elegant, sophisticated, and down right good looking. Sometimes I wonder how and why suits have lasted as long as they have in today's modern world but then I realize that nothing better has come along. I see all these shows and magazines that advertise the latest "fashion" coming from far off lands in Europe, yet nothing in these look at all close to replacing that simplistic design of a shirt and tie combo. Oh well, keep trying there designers; perhaps burlap and strange geometry will win out in the end.
           For me its the perception that wearing a suit gets you by other people. I walk down the halls of my workplace or the local shopping center in my casual attire and barely get a notice. I am the 6' 188lb invisible man in a tee shirt and jeans. Yet once I throw a nice tie and collared shirt on its like I come into focus to others. I get looks streamed my way and even regular acquaintances make comments as to how nice I look. I like to think I look nice everyday, but I know what they mean. There is just something about that long fabric wrapped in a knot that draws the eye.
           In my job its customary for people to come to work post-casual. Whats that you might ask? Well given what I do most people come to work looking like complete hell. No make up, clothes that have not seen the light of day in months, hair tosseled or shoved cruelly under a hat. Have I painted a pretty good picture of the ragged masses that pass through my halls each and everyday? Well its understandable to not get dressed up to sweat and stew in your own funk for hours on end. Sometimes I wonder how anyone gets a date around my job looking like they do. Yet I digress. So in this sea of zombiefied fashion atrocities getting "dolled" up to a point of normality turns a lot of heads. Mostly its a female in a pretty dress that gets the attention, but every now and then its that guy in the jacket that is getting checked out. Just an interesting phenomenon, and for someone like me, who wishes to be noticed by others, its a mandate.
          As an entertainer I get to dress up in many different costumes and roles. Its nice to have that variety. You never know what you will look like from day to day. Yet there is a secret I hide from the world. I would kill for a 9-5 desk job if it let me wear a suit all day. But you didn't hear that from me.
             Every now and then I like to just look nice for no reason. I have no formal setting to go to, or interview to impress for, or job requirement that lead me to these days. I just wake up, want to look nice, and dress myself in the one suit I own. And then I go shopping. Or to a museum. Or just out with no particular place to go. Just out feeling sophisticated in nice attire. I equate the feeling of wearing it to that of a woman wearing lingerie. Some females wear sexy underwear even when they know no one will see it that day just to feel good about themselves and feel sexy. I have the same feeling with ties. It just makes me feel good about myself. Its the little things.
          Enjoy the day people. Wear whatever it is that makes you feel good. Suit UP!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment